Monday, January 5

Sorry-for-Myself-Happy-New-Year Frosted Brownies



We were sick for three weeks over the holidays and it drove me to cravings. I "desperately" wanted brownies to heal my soul if not my body.

The key to any chocolate recipe is the cocoa. Cocoa Camino dutch-processed cocoa powder makes killer brownies.

This brownie has a wonderful texture but I'll be clear that I was seeking a cake-like brownie - a hardcore brownie is generally more dense and less moist.

Next time I will chop up some walnuts and zest some orange to throw in, and only make half the frosting to decrease the sweetness factor and allow the cocoa flavour to sing. Oh yes. And I will double the recipe because I want enough to share and some to freeze.

Rich Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
In a mixing bowl, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add butter; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to batter and mix well.


Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until brownies test done with a wooden pick. Cool in pan on a wire rack.


For frosting, combine butter, cocoa, water and coffee; mix well. Gradually stir in sugar until smooth, adding additional warm water if necessary to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost the brownies lightly.

Recipe from Karen Trapp on Allrecipes.com

No comments: