Sunday, March 18

dialectics

*warning: this review spoils a piece of the plot with the intention of improving the viewing experience - however, not everyone will agree that the information improves the film, so read on at your peril*

Half Nelson has three incredible performances (Ryan Gosling, Shareeka Epps, Anthony Mackie) and amazing writing, but damn did it leave me feeling unsettled.

There is a really uncomfortable tension underlying the entire film - you can see it in this photo. Relax - nothing inappropriate happens. I wish someone had told me that before I pressed play.

As a soon-to-be-teacher, I was also interested in his method in the classroom, and think I'll look into dialectics (OED: the existence or working of opposing forces, tendencies, etc).

*Broken Social Scene provide the soundtrack to the flick: Gosling and B.S.S. - hurray Canada!

No comments: