Saturday, October 6

Ritual and Tea

I want to believe that I'm a semi-environmentally responsible individual. I'm aware of my impact on the earth and its inhabitants, and I do my darndest to avoid negative contributions. You know. Walk instead of drive, take cloth bags to the grocery store, buy local food, use vinegar instead of Windex ... all that jazz. There are of course things that I do not sacrifice. Hiking fills my entire being with joy, but I live in the city so I drive to the trails. Avocados melt in my mouth, but they don't grow in this country so I buy the ones trucked up from Mexico. Travel to other lands enriches my existence, but flying leaves a ridiculously large footprint so I buy offsets and make sure to relish every moment.

I am however willing to change.

Natural Resources Canada indicates that the electric kettle is the most efficient water heater; the heating element is in direct contact with the substance it's heating, and once the water has reached its boiling point, the kettle will stop expending energy. Logical, but for years I have resisted conversion from my little Ikea cooktop kettle. Why? Stubborn, yes, but I'm also obsessed with the ritual surrounding tea. The heat of the electric range is my modern day fire. I feel connected to the elements as I wait for the delicious whistle of the kettle as it reaches climax.

That was before I met Bernard (Bernie for short).

















Bernard is a sexy 1.8L electric kettle from Breville. He wears a coat of brushed stainless steel. He sits on a simple stand that connects to the wall with a super clever plug ("designed with a built-in finger hole for safe and effortless removal from the outlet"). His lid opens with grace and his water level indicator glows a sexy neon blue. When Bernard has finished for the night (2-3 minutes compared with the 10-15 of the cooktop), his little bell utters a refined ding and he shuts himself down. Truly, my tea has never tasted so good and I don't suffer at all from the seriously improved efficiency. Yes Caitlin, welcome to the 21st century.

No comments: