Wednesday, September 2

I'm buying a subscription to Glamour magazine

I avoid women's magazines. I am a confident woman, but Cosmopolitan, InStyle, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Self, Allure, Fashion, etc have the ability to make me feel like I'm not enough: I don't have enough money, my clothes aren't stylish enough, I don't exercise enough, I'm not thin enough, I don't wear enough make-up or paint my nails enough....Enough!

Then suddenly Glamour does something that monumentally shifts the way I see their magazine and I want to embrace the hell out of it!



Check out Lizzi Miller, aka "the Woman on p. 194". She's gorgeous, confident, smiling and REAL! It's scary how much better I felt about my own naked body after seeing this beautiful 20 year-old and her fleshy frame. I'm going to admit that my immediate feeling was, "I'm NOT disgusting!" (Though I rationally reject it, the media's portrait of an ideal woman obviously effs with my self-esteem.)

Keep it up Glamour! Real women need affirmation. Imagine the positive feminine energy you are unleashing on the world. Also, imagine the revenue if you are the first to stop alienating the average size woman.

1 comment:

Brenna Haimes-Kusumoto said...

hey caitlin.
don't get that subscription just yet. this does not necessarily represent the Glamour magazine of the future. I read an article somewhere (unfortunately, I can't remember where) about this...how the photo was really small and it wasn't the forward-thinkingness that it's being made out to be...that they're patting themselves on the back but it's really not the movement that it's being touted to be....

I hope, for womens' sake, that the article I read was wrong, and that Glamour is becoming more realistic....but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I still think those types of magazines contributed (not the sole culprits!) to my trying to starve myself to death....glad I stopped reading them....

your skeptical cousin