Wednesday, September 19

Friendly cleaners

"Friendly" to both us and the earth. As I prepare to bring a child into my home, my desire to improve the health of that environment increases. Happily, these solutions also benefit my bank account - plain old baking soda and vinegar are significantly less expensive than Mr. Clean and Windex. There are many alternatives to the store-bought varieties of cleaners to be found at Cranberry Lane. I particularly like the Room Spray recipe, as most commercial sprays burn my wee nostrils with their intensity.

Fresh Air Room Spray
(Kills bacteria and eliminates unwanted odours)

50ml Distilled or filtered water
50ml *Ethanol or Vodka
20 drops essential oil (suggest a blend of clove, lavender, lemon, orange, oregano, pine and rosemary)

Instructions: makes 100ml
Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake well before using.
*Ethanol is often sold as "Rubbing Alcohol"; do not use Isopropyl as it is derived from petroleum.

No comments: