Wednesday, September 19

I like fur?

If I had to list a few of my favourite things, items that might make the top ten are gin and tonics, the colour brown, the house roll at Toshi Sushi, New York City, and my cat Feta. I don't think fur would make it into the top 50, so why am I suddenly getting weak in the knees over these fur blankets?

Then again, why wouldn't I?
The sensation of animal fur on human skin is primitive - both Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis clothed themselves in fur. And in general, I'm not against the killing of animals for efficient use by humans, though I don't love the idea of slaughtering another living thing solely for a luxurious coat. Of course, I don't insist the leather on my shoes comes from an animal whose muscle I have grilled for my dinner....hopefully one day (likely when we no longer have a choice).

In the meantime, Vancouver's
Ouno Design has made fur more appealing to the ethically conflicted like me. Their "recycled fur blankets and rugs are made entirely from high quality vintage fur and sheepskin coats." Upon finding a table of their throws at a local market, I could hardly suppress the urge to rub my face against their delicious softness. Justly, these fur throws start at $1400 CDN, so my indulging in their decadence will yet remain a dream.

1 comment:

Ouno Design said...

Wow, thanks!
We're enjoying your blog, now that we've found it by accident.
Lindsay and Sarah,
info@ounodesign.com