Monday, March 24

The List I Would Have Liked as a New Mother

The baby industry would have you believe you need a whole whack of gear to be a successful parent. Surprise surprise - you don't! However, what I have learned in the last 10 weeks with my newborn is that options are crucial. So here are my top buys for new parents (this is by no means a list of "essentials" - food, water and shelter are essentials; all else is luxury).















1. Ergo Carrier - the best carrier for outdoor activities. I walk taller when I wear it. I can also breastfeed while she's in it. Need the infant insert for a newborn (yes it's worth buying even though it doesn't look like much). Whenever you're ready to leave the house with baby (about 2-3 weeks for us), you'll benefit from this purchase. Almost impossible to find secondhand. About $125 + $30 for the insert.

Caveat: The waist strap must do up around my hips (not adjustable)
so I cannot sit when wearing the Ergo (or I risk waking her). Of course, this makes her weight less stressful on my back so I'll take it.



















2.
The Pea Pod Cuddly Wrap - fantastic versatile carrier for snuggling them indoors or out. Great for when Maggie's fussy or for walks or to keep her happy while I do chores around the house - hands free carrying! Simply a long piece of stretchy fabric (intimidating at first glance but very easy to use) so it's best to buy secondhand (I have no sewing skills, but that's another option here). About $60 or $30 used.

Caveat: It's somewhat of a production to put the wrap on, and because I haven't determined how to feed her while wearing it, I have to be pretty sure she isn't hungry, or I waste a good 10 minutes making her cranky while I put it on and take it off. However, that's why I can trust she is secured, so again, "I'll take it."

Note: Though they are easier to use, I don't like the sling style carriers for newborns. Maggie seemed uncomfortably squished and I didn't trust that her airway was clear.










3. gDiapers - Awesome. No stinky diapers hanging around the house - plus they're super cute! Good for your conscience, but harsh on the bank account. I'm planning to make microfleece inserts for use during the day, so I can save a bit of cash. About $30 for a starter kit and I recommend having 6 pants to alternate between (ie. 3 starter kits).

Note: Huggies were necessary in the first chaotic weeks and we are using them now as Maggie transitions into the larger size gpants.















4.
Bouncy Chair - crucial for a few minutes of parental reprieve: run to the bathroom, give your arms a rest or grab yourself a snack. Secondhand is best because the least expensive version purchased new is $60 before tax. Most are in obnoxious colour schemes with ridiculous doohickeys and thingamabobs on them, but the Baby Bjorn Baby Sitter 1-2-3 is simple and non-intrusive in our small space. This is an excellent registry item because that chair is $140 new.














5.
Medela Swing Breast Pump & Born Free Bottles - because we all need breaks! (even just to bathe while someone else feeds baby). Pumps help prevent mastitis and can be used to increase your milk supply as well. This pump is small, comfortable and works as well as the hospital rental I used in the first week. Don't buy secondhand because there is a chance (albeit minimal) you could pass disease on to your infant. About $220 for the pump. p.s. Born Free bottles come with great nipples!















6. My Brest Friend - a ridiculously named breastfeeding support. The other pillows don't fit as snugly around the middle and baby slips off. This keeps her in position and saves my back/neck/shoulders. Believe me, for the amount you feed your baby, this pillow is worth the $70 investment! I didn't buy it until Maggie was 9 weeks but I can imagine it would have been
useful from about 4-5 weeks on (depending on the size of your little one).



















7
. Sure Comfort Newborn-to-Toddler Tub - I tried a regular rubbermaid container because I don't like buying unifunctional items like baby tubs, but she grew out of it so quickly and was never very comfortable in it. I also thought I would take her in the bath with me, but newborns are just so fragile (as are new mothers) and so slippery when wet that I've chickened out and appreciate the help this tub offers. It fits well in the kitchen sink so I don't hurt my back bending over, and baby is so secure that we're both happier at bath time. Maggie loves baths in this thing and it's only $20!




Next time: Top Purchases to Avoid Making

No comments: