Friday, May 9

Meme this!

Even as a child, I refused to forward chain letters. I spat in the face of superstition and broke chain after chain after chain. I continue the trend with their virtual cousins; refusing to send on emails that promise to make me rich or save the life of some one-legged dog in Alabama. Do I sound righteous? I feel it. These letters are viruses, fashioned by liars and perpetuated by well-meaning innocents.

Howevaaaaaah... When my good friend Sarah sends me a euphemism (I mean a "meme") that claims to be in the interest of literacy, I say chain me in!

















These are the parameters:
1) Pick up the nearest book.
2) Open to page 123.
3) Locate the fifth sentence.
4) Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing…
5) Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged me.

1) The nearest book was Pigs by Robert Munsch (Maggie thinks it's hilarious when I yell, "Hey you dumb pigs!"). I don't think it goes past page 12, and most of those are illustrations. I walked a few feet to find Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer. Christopher recommended it based on my criteria 1. fun and 2. fictitious. I want to jog my imagination; to be transported to places that don't exist. Yes, Toronto does exist, but this is Toronto + alien! Though I don't generally read sci-fi, I love reading Canadian and I believe in Cylons, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm only 17 pages in, but it's mostly amusing thus far.

2) I opened the book to page 123 exactly. EXACTLY. Creepy or coincidental? Both.

3) I wondered if God was happy with the way his game was going.
"And now," said T'kna, through the translator, "reciprocity of interrogatives."
His turn to ask a question.

Wow. Anti-climactic. I don't know what I was expecting. I just feel disappointed that this exercise didn't reveal something meaningful about me or my connection to Sarah or Calculating God. What's the payoff? Do I win a $50 gift certificate to Applebee's??

No comments: