Thursday, June 4

Hiking with Kids



I've noticed many reviews claiming the Ergo carrier is best for hiking. From the perspective of a mama with a 30lb 17 month old, I disagree. As mentioned in a previous post, Maggie and Daddy were both uncomfortable when we used the Ergo for hiking. The Ergo holds baby/toddler directly against your body so parent and kid get sickeningly sweaty, plus baby can't see anything but Daddy's back. The Ergo is my favourite carrier for babies, but toddlers and up demand the Deuter Kid Comfort III Child Carrier Backpack.

If you're going to hike often, the Deuter is worth every penny. It's ridiculously easy to use, the sunshade is slick, it's comfortable for both carrier and rider, and there's plenty of storage for diapers, sunscreen, snacks, water, etc. Love it!

The cons? When Maggie falls asleep, her head wobbles around awkwardly. My solution is to avoid hiking during naptime and that's fine by me. Also, if we still lived in a small apartment, we probably wouldn't have room to store it...though I'd likely try to make room because this carrier is so rad!

No comments: