Monday, June 16

Delicious Darkness


















A coffee and a piece of dark chocolate is my favourite way to end a meal. Dark chocolate is a sexy and satisfying treat. Unfortunately, I'm sick of the waxy "dark" chocolate available in the check-out line without having found a really great alternative. Lindt is too chalky for me. Some of the fair trade brands I've tried taste a bit sour. So I've decided to start keeping track of which ones I like, and which ones I don't. (I wish this were a wine list, but that'll have to wait until my boobs are my own again)

Note: This isn't a blind test, and it doesn't take into account cost; I might be influenced by the fact that Scharffen Berger has the classiest packaging and my favourite might change if it is also the most expensive.


Poulain - 76%
1st taste: Dark. Lovely cocoa flavour, but still smooth.
2nd taste: mm. What is that? Orange? Hm. Sweet but not too sweet. Creamy.

Scharffen Berger, Semisweet - 62%
1st taste: Tastes sweetened. Lovely smooth texture.
2nd taste: Good. Creamy. Tastes a little - oh! it is semi-sweet. I think I will try a different variety of this one - something more purely chocolate (there's vanilla flavour added).

Ghirardelli, Twilight Delight - 72%
1st taste: Woody. Nutty. Strange, but not bad.
2nd taste: Chalky. Not sweet enough. Don't love it.


Out of these three, I completely prefer the Poulain.

To be continued...

Tip: To keep fresh, wrap chocolate in foil and store in an airtight container.
Keep in a cool dark cupboard.

No comments: